Friday 27 February 2009
by: Joe Galloway, McClatchy Newspapers
President Barack Obama this week is laying out the road home from the war in Iraq during the next 19 months. More or less.
The President has indicated that he’ll order the withdrawal of upward of 100,000 American troops from a war that began six years ago and has cost us more than 4,200 American dead, well over 70,000 wounded or injured and nearly a trillion dollars in national treasure. Continue reading
McDonald’s to charge more in poorer suburbs
Article from: The Courier-Mail
February 25, 2009 11:00pm
McDONALD’S is lifting prices in poorer suburbs where it believes consumers are more likely to accept higher charges without complaint.
Costs were previously based on restaurant overheads and ingredient prices.
But the multi-national fast-food chain is using socio-economic factors to determine charges under a new “demand-based pricing” scheme.
Corporate documents obtained by The Courier-Mail show McDonald’s Australia has identified an “opportunity to introduce more aggressive price increases” in 73 Queensland outlets. Continue reading
By William Fisher, IPSNews
NEW YORK, Feb 26 (IPS) – In a stunning reversal, Britainâ€™s government admitted Wednesday that it participated in the â€˜extraordinary renditionâ€™ to Afghanistan of two terror suspects captured in Iraq.
British Defence Secretary John Hutton told Britain’s House of Commons that the two individuals were captured by British forces in Iraq, transferred to U.S. detention and later moved to a U.S. detention facility in Afghanistan.
His admission contradicts the British governmentâ€™s earlier assertions that there were only two cases involving detainee rendition. That statement involved the Indian Ocean island of Diego Garcia, a British territory, which the government admitted had twice been used by the U.S. as a refueling stop for the secret transfer of terrorism suspects. Continue reading
email from Democracy Rising Pennsylvania, 2/27/09
The Philadelphia Daily News’s John Baer this week eported a conversation with PA Supreme Court Chief Justice Ronald Castille about the injustice inflicted by the Luzerne County Court of Common Pleas on thousands of children. Click here for a link to Baer’s column, which says a lot more about Castille and the court than the chief justice intended. For more about the Luzerne County scandal, click here for last week’s DR News.
Two judges have pleaded guilty to taking $2.6 million in kickbacks for placing children in certain juvenile detention facilities at a rate two-and-a-half times the state average, and for denying children counsel at a rate 10 times the state average. So the lingering questions are:
Why did the PA Supreme Court, responsible for all of PA’s courts, remain silent for nine months after the Juvenile Law Center, the Attorney General’s Office and the Department of Public Welfare presented the court with these facts? Continue reading